About the Journals
In 2015 I returned home from an incredible trip to Morocco with Jay and Beija and jumped directly into dealing with a huge pile of laundry. I collapsed in bed and headed back to work the next morning. After two days back in the grind I shook myself and thought, “What happened to my adventure?!” It felt like it disappeared into a dream. The only evidence of it was some Sahara sand that fell out of my sandals. I decided that I wasn’t going to let the vanishing vacation happen again.
- How can I remember all the fun things that we said and did on the trip?
- How can we maintain the closeness we felt as a family during our adventures?
- How can I make sure that Beija really gets something out of the amazing, resource-intensive opportunity we provided?
- How can I make sure that Beija incorporates the lessons of global citizenship and use what she’s experienced to leverage her academic pursuits?
- How can I remember where we stayed and what we did when a friend asks me for help planning their trip next year?
Here’s how we’ve solved it: we developed travel journals that have completely changed the way our family adventures and deeply integrate our experiences into our day-to-day selves. We partnered with Portland artist Dave Garbot to create Go Far, Travel Deep, an engaging and beautiful travel journal that inspires meaningful shared travel experiences, deep engagement with destinations, and memorable storytelling. In addition, the journals have become irreplaceable trip souvenirs—unique, take-home books full of co-created memories and stories.
We now have two journals
- Inspiring cover and interior art by Portand-based Dave Garbot
- Lie-flat spiral binding for easy writing and drawing
- A place to log daily activity and rate each day
- Travel-related quotes and places to draw and color
- An after-action review
- Lists of new food, funny events, etc.
- 100% post-consumer recycled heavy writing paper
- Everything you get in the standard journal plus…
- Interview with Kymber to learn about your trip and family
- Personalized title cover, goal sheet, and itinerary list
- One week of daily seed questions tailored to your family and destination
- Up to 2 weeks of journal days (need more? Let’s chat…)
- Choice between spiral binding and sturdy, reusable clear PVC cover $10
Our time journaling as a family allowed us to pause each day to reflect upon and integrate our experiences. It was a lovely way to capture the highlights and also helped us expand our thinking about our travels. Unpacking the meaning of quotes scattered throughout the journal would sometimes make us laugh and sometimes make us think more deeply! We came home with a meaningful memento of our travels. -Katie
We ordered a custom journal from Travel with Riveted Kids for our 7 week trip across Europe, and we were so glad we did. It was a great way to document our trip, and to come together as a family once a day and talk about how things were going. This was the first major travel for our kids (ages 9 and 12) and the journal helped them process and remember all of the incredible new people and places they experienced. We look forward to reading through the journal and remembering our trip for years to come. -Azure